Sydney AUSTSWIM Workshop
Making Aquatics a Terrific Experience Workshop
Tuesday 7 May 2019
Sydney Showground – Hall 5
9:30am – 11:30am (Theory lesson – classroom style)
11:30am – 12:15pm (Lunch)
12:15pm – 2:15pm (Practical lesson at Sydney Olympic Park Aquatic Centre)
$85.00 + GST (Lunch included)
Making Aquatics a Terrific Experience (MATE) is an innovative and interactive community workshop aimed at optimising health and wellness opportunities for people with medical conditions and/or disabilities. The MATE workshop provides participants with the information, skills and confidence to take a person with a medical condition and/or disability to the pool for recreation activities.
The MATE workshop is not about swimming strokes; it is a guide to encouraging and facilitating physical activity in an aquatic environment for people who do not always have the opportunity to participate in aquatic activity.
Who can attend?
- Occupational therapists
- Personal trainers
- Allied health professionals
- Disability Leaders
- Family members (parent, partner, siblings, friends)
The MATE workshop offers:
- Comprehensive notes
- Real life scenarios depicting examples of frustrations to success
- Simulation exercises – what your body does in the water
- Aquatic activities to use in an inclusive setting
- Networking opportunities with like-minded people
Why is aquatic activity beneficial?
- Promotes sense of wellbeing
- Maximises body function and independence
- Improves mood and increases self-esteem
- Endorses water safety principles
- Provides fitness opportunities for you and your MATE