Brisbane AUSTSWIM Workshop
Making Aquatics a Terrific Experience Workshop
Tuesday 14 May 2019
Chandler Aquatic Centre, Sleeman Sports Complex
Cnr Old Cleveland & Tilley Roads, Chandler
(Entry to the complex via Tilley Road)
The best parking to access the Aquatic Centre is P2. We suggest entering the Complex via Tilley Road and following the loop around to P2. You can then follow the walkway to the Aquatic Centre.
10:00am – 2:30pm
$85.00 + GST
WHAT TO BRING
Pen, paper, swimwear and towel
Making Aquatics a Terrific Experience (MATE) is an innovative and interactive community workshop aimed at optimising health and wellness opportunities for people with medical conditions and/or disabilities. The MATE workshop provides participants with the information, skills and confidence to take a person with a medical condition and/or disability to the pool for recreation activities.
The MATE workshop is not about swimming strokes; it is a guide to encouraging and facilitating physical activity in an aquatic environment for people who do not always have the opportunity to participate in aquatic activity.
Who can attend?
- Occupational therapists
- Personal trainers
- Allied health professionals
- Disability Leaders
- Family members (parent, partner, siblings, friends)
The MATE workshop offers:
- Comprehensive notes
- Real life scenarios depicting examples of frustrations to success
- Simulation exercises – what your body does in the water
- Aquatic activities to use in an inclusive setting
- Networking opportunities with like-minded people
Why is aquatic activity beneficial?
- Promotes sense of wellbeing
- Maximises body function and independence
- Improves mood and increases self-esteem
- Endorses water safety principles
- Provides fitness opportunities for you and your MATE